Have you heard about #GivingTuesday™ (#GT) — the global day of giving? Celebrated on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving (in the U.S.), #GivingTuesday is a counterpoint to Black Friday and Cyber Monday. After a weekend of consumer spending, #GivingTuesday provides a moment to pause, be grateful, support causes you care about, join together with friends and colleagues and share your stories on social media. This year’s #GivingTuesday is November 29, 2016.
Started in 2012 by 92nd Street Y in New York, in partnership with the United Nations Foundation, #GivingTuesday has become a global phenomenon. Last year over 700,000 people in 71 countries raised $116,000,000 online for nonprofits of all types. Over 40,000 organizations have joined the movement.
#GivingTuesday connects diverse groups of individuals, communities and organizations around the world for one common purpose: to celebrate and encourage giving. #GivingTuesday
How Individuals Can Get Involved
#GivingTuesday has inspired people all over the globe to stand up and support the causes they love. Be a part of this worldwide movement!
- Want to donate your time? Search for nonprofits near you and join in the fun.
- Do you have a specialized skill? There are lots of nonprofits who would love to accept your pro bono work. Search out who needs you on Taproot+.
- Donate to your favorite nonprofit and help them serve those in need.
- Donate part of your paycheck – your employer might even match your donation.
- Invite your family and friends to join you in your #GivingTuesday activities.
- Organize a giving campaign.
- Kick off a cleanup day in your neighborhood.
- Talk to your mayor and city council about how your city can support #GivingTuesday.
- Post your activities on social media using #GivingTuesday.
- Tell your story of why you support nonprofits using #MyGivingStory.
- Post an #UNselfie – snap a picture of yourself holding a sign with the cause(s) you support (check out the #UNselfie sign and toolkit).
#GivingTuesday harnesses the potential of social media and the generosity of people around the world to bring about real change in their communities; it provides a platform for them to encourage the donation of time, resources and talents to address local challenges. #GivingTuesday
How Organizations Can Get Involved
Whether your organization is a nonprofit, a business, a school, a city government, a community group, or even a collection of family and friends, there are plenty of ways to get involved:
- Join the movement – register your group on the #GivingTuesday website and share your plans to participate in this global phenomenon.
- Download the Complete Toolkit – take advantage of #GivingTuesday campaign planning tools, social media tips, templates for an outreach email and a press release, case studies and more.
- Get inspired – find out what other organizations like yours have done for #GivingTuesday. There are resources for nonprofits, small businesses, cities, schools, companies, foundations, religious organizations and giving platforms.
- Get resources – need more help? The #GivingTuesday team has put together toolkits for social media, proclamation and public relations. They’ve also created templates for press releases, outeach emails and strategy timelines.
[#GivingTuesday] brings together the collective power of a unique blend of partners— nonprofits, civic organizations, businesses and corporations, as well as families and individuals—to encourage and amplify small acts of kindness. #GivingTuesday
- What is Giving Tuesday and How to Promote it
- Giving Tuesday Ideas with the Biggest ROI
- 8 Social Media Tips for #GivingTuesday You Can Do Today
- Move Beyond a Giving Tuesday Sophomore Slump
What are your plans for #GivingTuesday? How are you tapping into the energy of this global movement? We’d love to hear your ideas.