#GivingTuesday™ (#GT) is a movement to create a national day of giving added to the calendar on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday. In the same way that retail stores take part in Black Friday, this movement wants the giving community to come together for #GivingTuesday. It’s a response for giving back after the high rate of consumer spending from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. Why participate? Because it’s one more reason to inspire your supporters to give to your cause.
How can #GivingTuesday benefit my organization?
#GivingTuesday can build on the strength of a global movement to increase exposure and build support for your organization’s philanthropic activities, especially during the holiday giving season. The #GivingTueday team will provide a variety of “plug-and-play” materials created by industry experts that can help you use social media and innovative marketing to draw attention, support and funds to your cause.
Your organization will have the opportunity to join over 10,000 partners around the world to enhance the philanthropic sector as a whole. Just as the retail world has benefited from coordinating national shopping days across many brands and platforms, #GivingTuesday will do the same for giving.
Here are 5 steps to promote your Giving Tuesday campaign:
1. YouTube video: Create an introduction video on YouTube to share with your community around what #GivingTuesday is all about and how your organization plans to participate. #GivingTuesday.org has some excellent tools to help you get started, as well as information about the movement and what has been accomplished in such a short time. An above and beyond example by CARE.
2. Social Media posts: Use #GivingTuesday in your social media posts and help your community join the global conversation about giving. You can even encourage your supporters to take an #UNselfie (a photo of something or someone that means giving) and upload it to their favorite social media.
3. Email announcement: Send an email to your entire network explaining the concept of #GivingTuesday and how people can participate by donating to your organization on December 2, 2014. Make donating easy: provide your mailing address for check donations and a link to your online donation page.
4. Website button: Create a visual announcement on your website along with a clearly visible “donate” button. Make it fun and easy for your supporters to participate in #GivingTuesday by donating to your cause.
5. Reminder email: Send a reminder email to your network the week of Thanksgiving or even on the day before #GivingTuesday to encourage your supporters to participate in this one-day, global phenomenon.
By participating in #GivingTuesday, you’ll not only inspire your supporters to donate to your cause, you’ll be increasing awareness and exposure for the entire giving community worldwide. Everyone wins!
Interested in using our online donation page product to launch your Giving Tuesday campaign? Let us know and we’ll follow-up about our Online Payments and best practices for Giving Tuesday.