Unveiling the Power of Raffles in Event Revenue Boost
What is a Raffle?
In the realm of event fundraising, a raffle is a thrilling game of chance where participants purchase tickets for a chance to win exciting prizes. This engaging activity not only adds a layer of excitement to your event but also serves as a potent tool for revenue generation.
Selling Raffle Tickets: Traditional vs. Electronic
For those who prefer the tactile feel of paper, traditional raffle tickets are a classic choice. Here’s a simple guide:
- Acquire Tickets: Purchase rolls of double raffle tickets from your local office supply store.
- Ticket Distribution: Tear off purchased tickets, giving one to the guest to keep and one for them to put into the raffle item bowl.
In the digital age, electronic ticketing adds convenience. Here’s how:
- Bidding Site Setup: Configure your bidding site to facilitate electronic raffle ticket sales.
- Guest Participation: Invite guests to purchase tickets using their smartphones.
- On-Site Assistance: Have Bid Assistants assist attendees with mobile ticket purchases.
Note: Keep in mind that most states regulate or even may prohibit tickets sales. So if you’re planning to use mobile bidding to sell your raffle tickets, be sure to check your state’s laws about raffles.
How do I choose the raffle winner?
The old-school charm of handpicking a winner has its allure:
- Throw all the duplicate tickets in a bowl.
- Have a “celebrity” at your event reach in and grab a random ticket to choose the lucky winner!
For a streamlined approach, rely on technology:
- Create a spreadsheet to compile all raffle tickets sold—one ticket per line.
- Use a random number generator website (such as org) to choose the number of the winning ticket.
Promoting Raffle Tickets: Building Anticipation
Building anticipation is crucial for a success. Here are some strategies:
- Online Presence: Announce the raffle prominently on your website before the event, showcasing the grand prize.
- Ticket Bundles: Encourage multiple purchases with special deals, like 1 ticket for $10 or 5 tickets for $40.
- Event Signage: Utilize eye-catching signs during the event to attract guests to the raffle area.
- If you are using Greater Giving’s Storefront tool, have your volunteers walk around with their tablets and sell tickets. It’s always helpful to give the volunteers something to help them stand out from the crowd, like a balloon attached to their wrists or a flashing pin.
Raffle Prize Ideas
Before delving into the logistics of conducting a successful raffle, let’s explore some creative raffle prize ideas that can captivate your audience:
- Exclusive Experiences: Offer unique experiences such as a private chef dinner, a hot air balloon ride, or a backstage pass to a popular event.
- Tech Gadgets: Gadgets like the latest smartphones, smartwatches, or high-end headphones are sure to attract tech enthusiasts.
- Luxury Getaways: A weekend getaway at a luxurious resort or a cruise package can be an irresistible grand prize.
- Customized Packages: Create themed prize packages tailored to your audience, such as a spa day, gourmet food basket, or a fitness retreat.
Share your success story
We want to hear from you! If you’ve organized a raffle at a fundraising event, share your insights. What prizes worked best? How did you promote it? Let’s create a community of shared experiences and innovative ideas. Drop your thoughts in the comments below!