#GivingTuesday has shown that social media works!
Whether you already have a social media presence or you’ve never posted before, your #GivingTuesday campaign is the ideal opportunity to join the conversation, gain supporters, and raise funds for your constituents.
Here are 10 steps for your nonprofit to roll out your Giving Tuesday social media campaign:
- Know your audience through analytics (e.g. Facebook Insights, LinkedIn Analytics, Google Analytics). Build persona profiles based on your findings (e.g. age, gender, interests). Then target those profiles with the content you put out.
- Always link posts and followers back to your website to capture their emails and convert them; emails are the most efficient way to maintain a relationship, step up the conversion process, and reach them frequently.
- By defining your audience through analytics, you can also establish what platforms are the most appropriate for your organization (e.g. moms = Pinterest, teens = Snapchat, millennials = Twitter/Facebook).
- Photos are key!
- Don’t post every hour; post when (and only when) you have something to say.
- Establish your editorial calendar and build the story you want to share between now and #GivingTuesday.
- Start out on social media and don’t push “asks”; push valuable content, build your story, and get people excited.
- “Asks” come later (Thanksgiving time-frame)
- Experiment with new messages, voices, and approaches. Emotions cause us to share so shock your supports; appeal to their emotions; think outside of the box.
- Use hashtracking.com to track your GivingTuesday customized hashtag (e.g. #ggivingtuesday).
- Measure your overall success based on the number of emails you gathered as a result of your Giving Tuesday efforts.
- Follow @GivingTues and share their pre-made messages; you don’t have to reinvent the wheel.
Extra: share your results on social media after the fact and let people know how you did (perhaps a thank you video on YouTube).
Watch this Giving Tuesday Summer Camp video:
Try out Online Payments donation pages to host your Giving Tuesday campaign: