Thousands of events later, our team of fundraising experts has compiled the ultimate list of the latest creative auction themes! A creative auction theme highlights both the cause and the fact that it is a fundraiser (e.g. Bid for Kids, The Big Give, Night of Hope etc.). The golden rule is: the more fun guests have, the more they will give, because people like to party! It’s good to theme with what is relevant in the moment: seasons, TV shows, current events, anything top chef or cooking related, etc.
12 Creative Auction Themes:
- Monopoly: use the colors from the monopoly board for different sections of the auction. Place a board games at each place setting as a place mat. Include spaces for the sponsors as advertisements on the boards.
- Mission Impossible: here are some creative ideas.
- James Bond: decoration and dress up inspiration here.
- Putting on the Ritz: when the clock turns back decades — to the era of The Great Gatsby. See Austin Children’s Shelter’s example here.
- Suitcase Party: someone has the opportunity to be whisked away on a private jet that night for an unbelievable weekend vacation.
- Hollywood: how to throw an awesome hollywood party.
- Fairy Tale Ball: ask all of the Sponsors to decorate and create their own table that they purchase (e.g. Pirate Ship theme from Pirates of the Caribbean, Little Mermaid, Captain Hook, etc.). See Junior League of Corpus Christi’s example.
- Masquerade: example Black & White Masquerade Ball.
- Love Boat: cruise theme with a game show.
- Buckaroo Ball: western and cowboy!
- Beach: give leis to people for the raffle instead of tickets.
- Schoolhouse supplies spelling bee: include a signature drink, like the Pink Eraser, that runs through an ice luge and host celebrity contestants.
Creative auction theme faux pas: going over the top with your décor.
We also really like these Top 10 School Auction Themes.
Think out of the box!